January 06, 2014
Fujifilm is delighted to announce the arrival of the new FinePix XP70, which enables all-action photographers to take great pictures and movies before sharing them instantly. The 16.4 megapixel waterproof, shockproof, freezeproof and dustproof compact features wireless connectivity for simple sharing with a smartphone or tablet along with a host of powerful picture taking features.
Supremely tough on four different levels
Ideal for snowboarding, skiing, mountain biking and other outdoor leisure activities, the FinePix XP70 complies with IP68 standards*4. This means it is waterproof to 10 metres, can withstand a drop of up to 1.5m*, will still operate in temperatures as low as -10℃ and is dustproof to prevent the intrusion of dust or sand. Further protection from the elements is offered by the double-lock mechanism on the battery/memory card compartment that prevents accidental opening, plus there's a front grip and thumb rest for assured handling.
Instant image and movie sharing
The FinePix XP70 comes equipped with wireless functionality for simple image sharing via a smartphone or tablet*5. The built-in Wireless Transfer function allows users to select images or movies*6 to be transferred without the need for any time-consuming ID or password creation. All that's required is the free Fujifilm Camera Application to be downloaded and installed on the receiving device.
In addition to simple sharing, the Wi-Fi*7 functionality in the XP70 allows users to back up images to a computer. Again, it's a very quick and simple process; just connect to a Wi-Fi router, select ‘PC Auto Save’ and let the XP70 do the rest*8.
LCD with anti-reflection coating
Given that the FinePix XP70 is likely to be used in bright, sunny conditions as well as inclement weather, an anti-reflection coating is applied to the rear LCD so it's still easy to view or compose images on the beach or in snow. The LCD monitor also has an auto brightness function that adjusts according to the ambient light levels.
Action Camera Mode
Outdoor activities don't need to be limited to still image capture with the XP70, which offers a raft of movie capture functions, including a new Action Camera Mode. Available with the optional Action Camera Lens, which turns the XP70's lens into a fixed 18mm**, the mode enables hands-free shooting so the camera can be mounted on your body or a piece of sporting equipment to get right to the heart of the action. In Action Camera Mode, the rear LCD turns off automatically for extending recording times.
For more conventional videos, the XP70 offers Full HD movie capture (1920 x 1080), plus it has Scene Recognition for optimum settings and Advanced Filters to create eye-catching effects. Wind noise — often a problem with outdoor movie recording — is reduced thanks to the Wind Filter setting. Recording the movies themselves is simple thanks to the dedicated movie button and there are even some in-camera editing functions, including Movie Trimming for removal of unwanted sections and Movie Join which combines separate movies into one file.
High quality, shake-free shots
The XP70 offers a 5x optical zoom lens that includes a 28mm** wide-angle setting for sweeping landscape and scenic shots. The optical zoom range can be doubled to 10x with Fujifilm's Intelligent Digital Zoom technology, while the camera's Optical Image Stablization function ensures that any effects from camera shake are minimized.
16.4MP sensor delivers powerful performance
The XP70 boasts a 1/2.3-inch 16.4 megapixel CMOS sensor for impressive results in a wide range of conditions. Coupled with a powerful processor, the camera delivers a rapid performance, capturing images at up to 10 frames-per-second*** at full resolution and an incredible 60 frames-per-second at reduced resolution (2MP). Users wanting to take advantage of these blistering speeds can do so quickly and easily thanks to the dedicated continuous shooting button on the back of the camera.
Further picture-taking versatility is offered by the Scene Recognition mode that rapidly determines the scene being captured before optimizing focus, exposure and shutter speed for the best possible result. Underwater and underwater macro functions are also available to underline the XP70's all-action credentials.
Further creativity is offered by 10 Advanced Filter functions (see list below), while multi-frame processing is used to capture two or more shots for a High Dynamic Range (HDR) image that preserves detail in both shadows and highlights. Finally, the Motion Panorama 360° function offers the chance to capture superb panoramic shots at the touch of a button.
The Advanced Filter functions on the XP70 are:
- Pop Color emphasizes contrast and color saturation
- Toy Camera creates a shaded border as if the picture was taken on a toy camera
- Miniature blurs the top and bottom of the frame for a miniature effect
- Partial Color retains one color (choose from red. orange, yellow, green, blue or purple) and turns the rest of the image black & white
- High-Key enhances brightness and reduces contrast to lighten tones
- Soft Focus creates an overall soft look to the images
- Cross Screen creates starbursts on bright objects
- Dynamic Tone creates a fantasy effect
- Fish-Eye gives a fish-eye effect
- Low-Key darkens tones
FinePix XP70 key features:
- Waterproof to 10m, Shockproof to 1.5m, Freezeproof to -10℃ and Dustproof
- 16.4 megapixel 1/2.3”-inch CMOS sensor
- 5x optical zoom with 28mm wide-angle setting
- Wireless connectivity for instant image and movie sharing
- Full HD movie capture
- Action Camera mode
- Optical Image Stabilization
- 10 Advanced Filters
- High Dynamic Range (HDR) capture
- Motion Panorama 360°
- * Measurement method of MIL-Standard 810F Method5 16.5-Shock of the “MIL Standard”, a standard stipulating the durability of supplies procured by the American military, set by the United States Department of Defense, is used.
- ** 35mm format equivalent
- *** According to CIPA (Camera & map; Imaging Products Association) standards.
- *4 Waterproof and dustproof protection standards of products, stipulated by IEC (International Electrotechnical Commission)
- *5 Android™ smartphone and tablet terminals, iPhone / iPad[s3]
- *6 Some movie files that cannot be played on smartphones cannot be saved with the iOS version of the “FUJIFILM Camera Application”. Please try with the movie mode with a size smaller than HD (1280 × 720).
- *7 Wi-Fi® is a registered trademark of Wi-Fi Alliance®.
- *8 It is necessary to install the free dedicated software “FUJIFILM PC AutoSave” onto the computer first.
For enquiries on information in this media release, contact:
- Media Contact:
- FUJIFILM Corporation
Corporate Communications Div.
- Customer Contact:
- Please contact your nearest Fujifilm office.
For information on Fujifilm subsidiaries and distributors, please access the following URL.